Since turning 40, I find myself unknowingly drawing parallels to times gone by. In the digital industry that usually means reflecting on how things were 3 months ago.
When it comes to the Internet and real estate times are changing fast, as consumers and the next generation of home buyers are “information hungry” to assist them in making one of the biggest decisions of their lives.
In the past 12 months, we have seen a significant fragmentation in how Australians use the Internet to buy real estate. This creates a great opportunity for innovative real estate agencies to create a point of difference in a crowded marketplace.
The data in this article and our white paper shows there is an unrivalled opportunity in 2015 for:
- Digitally savvy real estate sales professionals to add more value than ever before.
- Vendors to spend less on their real estate marketing schedules whilst driving up the sale price of their property.
- Innovative real estate agencies to win market share by challenging “convention” in a changing marketplace.
Global and local research indicates that most of us spend 6-12 months researching and viewing real estate, before we buy. On this basis; we developed the following digital engagement model within a typical real estate buying cycle.
|Buying Stage||Consumer Digital Engagement||Websites/ Apps|
Surf major real estate sites
Visit Interior design sites & apps
|Realestate.com.au & App
Domain.com.au & App
Magic Plan App
Develop shortlist of houses & areas
Profile potential agents
Monitor sales results in areas
Realestate.com.au & Domain.com.au
Visit inspection pages agent sites
Email newsletter engagement
Check median prices
Visit mortgage & lending sites
Specific google search on properties
Multiple visits to agent sites
Realestate.com.au & apps
Domain.com.au & apps
Around me app
Comm bank property guide app
Repeat visits to agent listing page
Repeat visits to agent profile page
Google search history on address
Price comparisons to recent sales
Sales data on realestate.com.au
Around me app
School, transport & child care sites
The latest trends are also showing us:
- realestate.com.au and domain.com.au continue to dominate the online listing space.
- domain.com.au is making up some ground on realestate.com.au with the increased popularity of their mobile app.
- The rise of real estate information sites like onthehouse.com.au.
- The traffic to major real estate agent websites in Australia is strong.
- Print publications like the weeklyreview.com.au struggle to gain traction online.
Want to access all the data and read what this means for vendors and agents? Rread our White Paper – 2015 Australia’s Real Estate Marketing Trends. Enter your details at the top of this page and download our white paper now.