In times past, your ad placement with Google AdWords was based solely on your keyword bidding. However, times have changed and nothing is simple now when it comes to an AdWords strategy. If you want to improve your ads’ placement, you must first improve their quality score.
Quality score is hugely important when developing a keyword campaign, but it is something of a mystery. Google has never disclosed the exact algorithms used to determine quality score, so it’s impossible to know precisely how your quality score comes about. But even without access to Google’s top secret rocket science, you can still improve your quality score.
What is SEO? Why is it important?
AdWords uses many factors to establish quality score, but it’s been almost universally noted that the most important is click-through-rate for the keywords in your account. Click-through-rate is the amount of times your ad was clicked on divided by the ad’s number of impressions. This statistic is followed in importance by several measures of keyword relevance, including its relevance to the ad copy, relevance to the landing page, and relevance to the user’s search query.
Quality score is important to your AdWords campaign for several reasons:
- It helps determine whether or not your ads are even eligible to be shown as a part of search results.
- It is hugely influential in deciding your ad’s placement in the search results.
- It affects your ads’ cost-per-click.
- It affects the estimate of your first page bid, assuming your ad is not currently appearing on the first page of search results.
In order to maximize your AdWords account and get your ads under the eyes of more potential customers, you have to go through your account and find out where it is lacking. Not only will improving your quality score get you more high-quality visitors and subsequently higher conversion rates, a higher quality score means less upfront payout to Google for you.
There have been entire books—well, ebooks, at least—written on how to improve your quality score, but for the purposes of this article, here are some general tips:
- Since quality score is calculated per keyword in real time, frequent account optimization is a good goal to aim for.
- Rework your ads so they are more relevant to the keyword they correspond to by including more of the keywords in the ad copy.
- Make sure your landing page is relevant to its keywords.