60 million reasons why you should get onto SlideShare
It’s a marketer’s dream – a crowded site with a highly targeted audience and low competition. However, this is a reality for many savvy marketers, and it’s all thanks to SlideShare. With an estimated 60 million unique visitors a month, you’ll wonder why you didn’t get onto it sooner, if you haven’t already.
Founded in 2006, SlideShare is a free online application where anybody can privately or publicly upload slide presentations on any topic. In fact, I used SlideShare to watch a slideshow about SlideShare. Are you still with me?
Described as PowerPoint for the online world, this application allows you to upload, view and download, or share presentations, documents, PDFs, videos, and webinars wherever you are. With notable users such as The White House, NASA, and IBM, and voted amongst the World’s Top 10 tools for education and e-learning in 2010, it’s about time to find out just how advantageous it can be for small and large businesses in Australia.
Three Benefits of SlideShare:
- 1. It’s a multi-purpose platform. Get traffic, rank better on Google, grow your followers, get email subscribers, build your brand, educate, entertain, evoke emotions, create your own uses – the options are limitless.
- 2. It’s the proverbial bigger fish in a smaller pond – you have the opportunity to reach more people on this platform as it’s not as crowded as YouTube, but still gets the visits.
- 3. It’s FREE. SlideShare offers an easier and less expensive means of content creation, and you don’t need any experience to use it.
Three limitations of SlideShare:
- 1. Unfortunately, animations and effects that are used in PowerPoint are not supported in uploaded SlideShare presentations.
- 2. Despite some presentations having a musical introduction, music generally cannot be added to slide presentations. Copyright infringements are still a major concern.
- 3. SlideShare has a 100MB file size limit, although this can be ‘overcome’ by users who venture into SlideShare’s FAQ page.
As far as free multi-purpose platforms go, SlideShare takes the cake. Whilst no online application is without limitations, SlideShare’s benefits far outweigh any shortcomings. This powerful tool can be very useful to any Australian business looking for another opportunity to promote their brand online.