roi.com.au’s Top 10 SEO tips for 2011
The internet is awash with Top 10 tips for SEO (search engine optimisation) and we have done our own in the past but in keeping with our policy of practicing what we preach, roi.com.au are continuing to deliver fresh content, relevant content to our own website. With that in mind we have updated our Top 10 SEO list to ensure you get the best out of your website and achieve better rankings in 2011.
Top Ten SEO Tips
Achieving maintaining top Google rankings requires a sustained, strategic approach to SEO to ensure your site is more relevant to targeted searches in the eyes of Google and human searchers. Here are roi.com.au’s Top 10 SEO tips for better natural (organic) search results:
1. Discover the right keywords for your industry, market or niche through the use of Google Analytics and a strong marketing appraisal of your business. If you have a new site it may prove easier to rank for longer tail keywords where competition isn’t as strong.
2. Make use of Google Places. Optimise your Places listing for relevant industry search terms to get the most from local search traffic.
3. Write compelling, relevant content which is more likely to entice external links and to keep visitors interested in your site. Return visits and increased qualified traffic will make your site a more respected industry authority.
4. Use keyword rich title-tags, meta-tags and link anchor text. It is important not to use exact repeats of meta and title-tags across multiple pages as the searching Googlebots will not differentiate between pages and only one page will be indexed by Google where repeat tagging occurs.
5. Keywords referred to in the title and meta tags should be also be used in the headings, subheadings (H1s, H2s etc.) and general content of the respective pages. Searchers and Googlebots expect to see a fit between the page they are directed to and the keyword they searched.
6. Describe your images with keyword rich descriptions by using the alt-tag. This helps Googlebots to index images for universal search and it also helps readers who use ‘text-only’ web browsers.
7. Your site should include a strong site map and be easy to navigate in general so that users and Google can find keyword relevant content easily.
8. Integrate a blog to your website where you can easily make fresh relevant content update the contents which target relevant keywords.
9. Secure inbound external links from quality, relevant websites. Be careful not to use automated facilities that can lead to getting penalised by the search engines. Government sites and industry leaders hold the greatest weight for links in Googles eyes.
10. Conduct an in-depth SEO audit & traffic analysis of your website on a monthly basis.
Keeping abreast of the latest developments within is also an important tip worth considering. Changes such as the introduction of Google Places have a big impact on how search results appear and can have a large impact on the relevance of your website.
For more on SEO and developing a strong SEO strategy for your business, contact roi.com.au and let us put your business first in 2011.