It is no secret that the top search engines (Google, Yahoo7, nineMSN) like content — user-relevant, fresh & recently baked! The more you publish well written web-pages in your area of expertise, the more exposure you gain in these search engines (archived content is also helpul).
The more strategically you headline, title, meta-tag and link your web- pages, the higher they rise in search rankings. While every search engine works a bit differently, they all strive to deliver the most relevant content based on the inputted search queries.
Top 10 SEO Tips
To achieve and maintain top search engine rankings requires a planned approach to implement different search engine optimisation tactics that make your website more relevant to targeted searches. Here are top 10 SEO tips that will help achieve better natural search results:
- Help search engine spiders understand your webpages by inserting relevant keywords in its title-tag. As the title-tag is located at the top of your document within the head-tags, inserting keyword / key phrase greatly improves your chances of attracting targeted traffic to your webpage. Do ensure that the text contained in a title-tag is logical and can easily be understood by readers as this is the content that shows up in a search page. It should be crisp like a headline. Never repeat the (exact) same title-tag on every webpage as search engine crawlers may determine that all pages are the same and therefore may not index your web pages at all.
- The same keywords should be used as anchor text to link web-page to different web-pages of your website. This is especially useful if your site contains many pages. The more keywords that link to a specific web-page the better it is.
- The text within a web-page’s title tag should also be within its body so that readers are able to see what they intend to read. Search engine crawlers also like this as there is a definite relationship between the webpage title and its content-headline.
- Use the headline of your webpages as the title tag as this helps search engine spiders to understand what your webpage is about. A good place to insert this headline is within the ‘h1-tag’. This ensures that the headline is same as the title-tag text.
- Sprinkle your keywords throughout the webpage and make the most important keywords bold. You could do this once or twice in the body of the web-page towards the top of the article or build the keywords into the sub-headings.
- Describe your images by using the alt-tag. This helps search engine spiders to index images for universal search and it also helps readers who use ‘text-only’ web browsers.
- Ideally your site should contain navigation menus both on the left & right side of your web-page. The menu should consist of links and not images. When the reader hovers over a link with his mouse, the title of the link should appear.
- Create an integrated blog to your website where you can easily update the content of your website within categories which reflect the major keywords you are targeting.
- Organise inbound links from quality and relevant websites and avoid the temptation of using a submission service or an automated facility/software as your site could be penalised/banned.
- Conduct an in-depth SEO audit & traffic analysis of your website on a monthly basis.