Website Redesign is a necessity
Consumer needs and tactics of competitors are forever changing.
Successful companies need to ensure that all consumer facing and brand building communication keeps pace with these changing needs. Website redesign is needed to keep corporate branding and sales tuned to these changed needs and also to ensure that visitors do not get bored with the same static design over long periods of time.
New technologies are being discovered regularly which make web-surfing even more enjoyable and to leverage their many advantages, periodic site re-design is now a necessity. Websites need to be redesigned in a manner that builds the brand with increased visual appeal, navigation-simplicity and information applicability (incorporating new keywords and parts of a website which respond to evolving consumer search.
While redesigning your site, here are some time proven tips for you to
- Define your business & website objectives: Develop a purposeful theme for redesign based on well researched consumer perception insights and focused business intelligence. It is important to focus your re-design efforts on meeting your objectives and not get bogged down on subjective opinions on look and feel.
- Perform a comprehensive evaluation of your current website performance: For better results, it is necessary to evaluate your existing site and analyse its success and failures. In your redesign plan you need to overcome these failures and expand on prior successes.
- Leverage Creativity: For your site redesign to be successful, it should be refreshingly original and creative. It needs to be different and with unique user friendly features that helps your site stand out from the crowd. e.g. innovative offer on your site.
- Market knowledge: Having complete knowledge about available technological options and emerging SEO trends always helps you to make the most of your redesign efforts. Attracting more web-traffic data and leveraging technical innovations is the ideal scenario to maximise the returns from your website.
- Follow applicable international standards: Always follow international web standards and norms e.g. white hat / ethical SEO norms while carrying out redesign as it never pays to go for short cuts to gain short term publicity. Pay special attention to how successful competitors are leveraging organic SEO techniques.
- Develop and implement a project plan: To ensure success, it is necessary that you treat your website redesign as a complete project with your team members roles well defined. Every aspect of their collaborative team efforts should be planned with pre-defined scope of work, timelines and responsibilities.
- Outsource redesign work: It pays to leverage specialist expertise and harness fresh perspectives on your web-design plans by going to an external vendor who has sufficient expertise in your business sectors and web design.
- Carryout Usability & Website Testing: It is always better to ensure that the new redesign works by having some selected target audiences fully test your ideas and web-layouts as early as possible. Test your interactive wire frames (documents showing the information-skeleton of your webpages) before deciding on the fonts or the images. Try to launch the redesigned home- page in public beta first to solicit honest feedback. Armed with this knowledge that you gather review your web content and design to rectify all its loopholes. Contemporary and clear content will enhance the credibility of your site and business amongst Internet users.
- Allocate funds to online marketing: The Internet is a powerful sales channel for all types of businesses so there is no point investing all your funds on the design and development if no-one is going to see it. By allocating funds to marketing your website you should enjoy positive returns and then be able to use these profits to fund future investment in your website.
- Constantly measure & commit resources to ongoing site improvements
Too many businesses launch their new website and then only evaluate their website performance in 12 months time when it’s time for another re-design. The Internet is a dynamic medium and your website is easy to update, so you should be constantly testing new initiatives all the time as ongoing testing is the fastest way to achieve better returns from your online presence.
Remember: Everyone will have an opinion on how your website looks and feels, but you need to have people in your organisation responsible for delivering upon objective performance measures which positively