Over 80% of Australians use the internet regularly
roi.com.au has compiled a list of the Top Five online advertising statistics affecting Australian businesses in 2010. The statistics demonstrate exactly how much Australians use the internet relative to other worldwide users and re-emphasises the need for a comprehensive online marketing strategy in 2011 and beyond.
• Internet Usage: 80.1% of the Australian population used the internet in 2010. That figure puts Australia tenth in the world for the highest penetration rates following Sweden (92.5%), Netherlands (88.6%), Bahrain (88.0%), Denmark (86.1%), New Zealand (85.4%), Luxembourg (85.3%), Finland (85.3%), Britain (82.5%) and South Korea (81.1%).
• Facebook Fanatics: By December 2010, around 9.5 million Australians were actively using social networking site Facebook – that’s in the region of 41% of the population with the average session lasting in excess of 25 minutes.
• Online spending up by 12%: Australia spent in the region of $12bn online in 2010 and according to auction site Ebay.com is leading the way in online purchasing with South Korea and Britain as the most significant growth markets in 2010. By 2014, that figure is expected to exceed $18bn.
• Online Advertising Growth: According to PriceWaterhouseCoopers (PWC), online advertising is expected to grow seven-times faster than print between 2010 and 2014 and almost four-times faster than TV advertising during the same period. A forecasted figure of $3.8bn will see online advertising challenge TV for the number one spot in 2014.
• Google Number One: Google continues to be the number one site visited by Australians, commanding in the region of 20% of all internet visits in 2010.
Australia continues to be amongst the global leaders in embracing the internet as a sales channel and growth is expected to continue for the foreseeable future. If you would like to learn more about how your business can benefit from a stronger presence online using Google AdWords, SEO services and more, contact the experts at roi.com.au.
We help hundreds of Australian businesses to tap into the 18 million Australians using the internet and get them to their target market faster than TV, print or any other form of advertising. Call us today on 1300 650 274 and find out how we can put your business first!