Sometimes referred to as ‘conversion marketing’ or ‘cart abandonment email marketing,’ eCommerce remarketing refers to the techniques, strategies, and in some cases, the automated email systems used by online marketers to follow up with website visitors who do not make the desired action on the website.
When people leave your site without buying anything, remarketing helps you connect with these potential customers while they browse other websites. It is essentially a way to target your audience more precisely.
How remarketing works:
To begin using remarketing, you need to add the remarketing tag across all your site pages. This is available from Google AdWords. Then, you can create remarketing lists for any of your pages. As a final step, you can create an AdWords campaign with a specific message to show only people on a chosen page. For example:
- An online shopper is looking for dog collars and visits your site. However, they abandon their shopping basket and leave your site without making a purchase. You then use remarketing tactics to bring the visitor back to your website and convert them into a paying customer.
- You know that they are a valuable potential customer, so you add the shopper to a ‘Site Visitor’ list. This enables your company to deliver an ad to this shopper and other potential buyers on the list with a refined call-to-action that will encourage them to return to your website to complete a purchase.
- See our article on online banner advertising to learn more about one remarketing technique.
Strategies for setting up remarketing campaigns:
How you set up your remarketing campaign depends on a number of factors, such as your business goals and the types of customers you would like to reach. You can choose to reach all visitors on all pages, or your homepage only; you can showcase different product categories; appeal to visitors who didn’t convert; up-sell or cross-sell to existing customers; or even reach customers within a certain time period after they completed a purchase.
Who should use remarketing?
Whether you’re looking to increase sales activity on your site, increase email sign ups or even promote awareness of your brand, remarketing is a strategic component for any campaign. Remarketing, when done correctly, can bring great returns on investment. If you would like roi.com.au to help you with your remarketing strategy, contact us today on 1300 650 274 to talk to our dedicated Google Adwords team.
- How to Get Started with Remarketing
- How to stop competitors bidding on your brand
- Tips for Creating Adwords Campaigns that Align with Your Goals